Monday, February 26, 2007

Contemporary Short Work Animation, Univeristy of Chicago Animation Series

Friday, February 16, 2007



This was a night of animated shorts from the years spanning 1999-2006. But don't quote me on that because the U of Chi. coordinators ran out of programs before I could get one. My memory hasn't retained the titles of the films, let alone their release dates. Such is life, and I'm over it if you are. Actually, I'm over it anyway.

There were about 5 films that ran for about an hour, all of them works left undistributed (at least to my knowledge), so it was, in other words, a great opportunity to see some underground stuff. The picture above is from a film that consisted of single copies of painted portraits, which were then smeared with different layers of paint. Each shot revealed the layers of brushstrokes, but in reverse order until the face in the frame morphed back to its original form. The best way to describe it is as a cross between Stan Brakhage and Richard Linklater. Imagine physical lines of color that move ala Waking Life (2001), and have the same hypnotic effect as something like Mothlight (1963).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin