Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Space Cowboys - 2000 - DVD

Sunday, June 3, 2007

I'm a huge Clint Eastwood fan, but this movie was a ghastly rehash of screenwriting 101 rules, making it impossible to take seriously. Besides a few notes on the film's form technically (one lighting sequence in the garage is particularly eerie near the beginning), the playing out of the story's events and dialogue became laughable, and much to my dismay.

A friend told me earlier that he admires Space Cowboys as "autobiographical cinema" of Eastwood entering the late years of his life. This I agree with, mostly because that fact is hammered over our head from the film's opening flashback scene. The sentiment is awkward enough to swallow, but by the time Eastwood and his three buddies get rocket launched into space I'm ready to seal up the Netflix envelope. For me, the story was a long string of implausibilities that with a lot more subtlety (e.g. Million Dollar Baby) could have been an endearing and profound story about a man coming to terms with his own mortality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin