Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Ghost Writer


When I saw THE GHOST WRITER, it was more of a random choice than anything else. I was in the mood for a movie that night, and it just happened to be one of only two that were showing at or around the time I arrived at my local cinema. The other one was DATE NIGHT, which I wasn't really in the mood for. I like comedies, but that night I felt like something more sobering. I was not disappointed. TGW is a subtle, atmospheric film. It is the kind of picture that draws you in, and gives a feeling of being in another place and time. Ewan McGregor (Black Hawk Down, Moulin Rouge!) plays a ghost writer hired to finish the memoirs of former British prime minister Adam Lang, portrayed by Pierce Brosnan (GoldenEye, The Thomas Crown Affair). And in a scene-stealing performance is Olivia Williams (Rushmore, The Sixth Sense) as Ruth, Lang's wife. I found the movie to be intense, suspenseful, and highly entertaining, with an ending that stayed with me long after I left the auditorium. Directed with great care by Roman Polanski, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin