Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Chinatown - 1974 - VHS

Monday, April 23, 2007

Remember all the times you had to watch this in Screenwriting 101? Chinatown in conjunction with Robert McKee's guidebook "Story," is practically the gospel of college film course curriculum, so I had every reason to ignore it by graduation. Well, once again filtering through the old VHS collection I decided it was time to watch it again. I honestly thought I would have missed something after all these years, but the story, the characters, hell, even the dialogue is clear as crystal. Though, consistently seeing it through the perspective of a nit-picky narrative-driven screenwriting teacher, I never took much notice of the movie's technical aspects. This time I noticed the actual movement of the camera, the stylized opening credits, and the de-saturation of the film's color--making it all the more dark, all the more noir.

Anecdotally, it turns out I watched this just a day after Jack Nicholson's 70th birthday. (He's 70!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin