Sunday, April 29, 2007

Tropical Malady - 2005 - DVD

Sunday, April 29, 2007

I meant to see Tropical Malady two years ago when it screened at the New York Film Festival, delays ensued, but I have finally seen it. I need to state upfront that I was slightly underwhelmed, which I'm afraid has a lot to do with the fact that everyone I spoke to said it was utterly great. Not to say they're wrong, but I was bound to be a little bit disappointed after not hearing anything negative about it. The screening was also on DVD and that must have taken something away from the picture's vividness and grace.

I have a few shots from the film that have been running in a continual loop in my mind, one is near the start when the camera tracks through the tall grass leading into the forest, practially drifting independently above the ground; another is in the second half of the story when the man stands behind a fan of palms disguised from the man-tiger that stalks him. But probably the most obvious aspect of the film that deserves consideration is the dynamic of the two lead males, both of whom give one of the gentlest portrayals of a gay relationship that I've ever seen in the movies. There doesn't seem to be a conscious fuss about their sexaul orientation. Or more precisely, there's no shame in their overt relationship and it doesn't grapple with societal restrictions put upon them. The relationship simply is, and that's rather progressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin